Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter 2009


Awhile back my brother asked Mom if she remembered what he and Brooke did for Easter last year. I chuckled inside because I don't need anyone to remind me what we did for Easter 2009...

While living in Arizona, we would spend Easter with the Bergs (Aaron's aunt/uncle/cousins), any other family living or visiting the vicinity, and his uncle Bob's parents who we affectionately call Grammy and Poppy like their own grandkids do. Most years we would go up to Fountain Hills (where Grammy and Poppy live) for lunch. Last year was no exception, but we did something a bit different - Grammy reserved a pavilion at the park by the famous fountain for a lovely Easter picnic. Unfortunately, there was a strong wind blowing over the lake right in our direction. First of all, the Phoenix area has very little wind unless there is a wind storm (which blows dust everywhere but is over in 10 - 20 minutes) otherwise the area is blissfully calm. Secondly, the park people supposedly turn off the fountain if the wind is over a certain mph. Not this day...the fountain did not turn off even though the wind was blowing quite powerfully. Not so much of a big deal if you were on the other side of the lake...but where we were, the wind was causing the dirty lake/fountain water to blast our food, our faces, and anything else that was in its path. No worries, though, Easter lunch is always yummy even if it has a little extra seasoning...

The part I will never forget though: We were all sitting down eating, and I was at the very end of the table - the short side of a long rectangle table. No one was blocking the wind from me...or my plate. Do you see where this is going? In one split second, too quickly to do anything, the wind grabbed my plate and flung it into my face - a perfect shot. Food was caked to my face and was strewn in my hair. No one could have planned it better. You know those games/shows where people plaster pies into someone's face? This was the WIND doing that to me. I love to laugh, and I laugh a lot, but I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in all my life.

P.S. Grammy made our adorable flip flops that you can see in the first picture. Do I need to point out the famous Fountain Hills' fountain in the second photo? And no, I don't think the guys are mad at me for taking the picture - it was more or less how we all looked dealing with the wind and water issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment